Sarah in Lambeth is 41-50 and is circus performer.
Sarah is the matriarch of a circus troupe. As the daughter of circus impresario Gerry Cottle, she was born and raised as part of a circus family and has now taken over the day-to-day running of the circus. She spent much of her childhood in London’s green spaces and has recently returned to touring in the capital.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Mark Currie, Ross Dickson
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Being a little girl in the circus, performing at Shepherd's Bush and Blackheath.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I currently lives in Somerset, so what I miss most is the activity of London, and the buzz and vibe of it.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Soho, as you can go for a coffee and watch the whole world go by.
- What's your favourite building? The Houses of Parliament.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Going to the West End, having some food and a glass of wine.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going to a West End show, or Soho. You can go out at any time, as late as 11pm, and stay up until the next day to get coffee in the morning.
- What's your most hated building? I don't dislike any buildings, maybe just any big ugly block of flats.
- What's your favourite open space? Clapham Common.
- What's the most interesting shop? No particular favourite shop, but I love that you can walk out into almost any street and find a shop which has what you need.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Soho.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? In Soho!
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? The West End, or Soho or Camden.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Driving a huge lorry full of circus equipment down Marylebone Road, which was covered in roadworks.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Roundhouse. I started out with the circus there and spent a lot of weeks there rehearsing and training.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Jack the Ripper.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? The Victorian period.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? My friend, Sally Edwards.