Sarah is the matriarch of a circus troupe. As the daughter of circus impresario Gerry Cottle, she was born and raised as part of a circus family and has now taken over the day-to-day running of the circus. She spent much of her childhood in London’s green spaces and has recently returned to touring in the capital.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Being a little girl in the circus, performing at Shepherd's Bush and Blackheath.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I currently lives in Somerset, so what I miss most is the activity of London, and the buzz and vibe of it.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Soho, as you can go for a coffee and watch the whole world go by.
- What's your favourite building? The Houses of Parliament.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Going to the West End, having some food and a glass of wine.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going to a West End show, or Soho. You can go out at any time, as late as 11pm, and stay up until the next day to get coffee in the morning.
- What's your most hated building? I don't dislike any buildings, maybe just any big ugly block of flats.
- What's your favourite open space? Clapham Common.
- What's the most interesting shop? No particular favourite shop, but I love that you can walk out into almost any street and find a shop which has what you need.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Soho.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? In Soho!
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? The West End, or Soho or Camden.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Driving a huge lorry full of circus equipment down Marylebone Road, which was covered in roadworks.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Roundhouse. I started out with the circus there and spent a lot of weeks there rehearsing and training.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Jack the Ripper.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? The Victorian period.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? My friend, Sally Edwards.