Rita in Wandsworth is 81-90 and is Retired.
Rita is a retired former administrator at the Battersea Power Station. We follow her as she reminisces on her time growing up in Battersea. From her first and only love to her memories of her lunch breaks on the sky high chimneys of Battersea Power Station.
It was her father who found a job advert for an administrative position at Battersea Power Station. At the time, she lived in the Latchmere just down the road from the Power station. The office was on the 4th floor far from the industrial plant, the turbines were out of bounds, they didn’t even smell the smoke from where they were. Rita would help with the invoicing and internal memos, incoming mail and post and administration. She worked with Shirley, Claire, Marien and the manager was Andy- it was an open office. She enjoyed being with her colleagues and remembers taking lunch up to the roofs where the chimneys are. She attempted to climb up and was told off – she didn’t mind heights, she wanted to get a better view.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Visiting East Lane Market with my Mum
- What do you miss when you're away from London? London's green spaces
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Battersea
- What's your favourite building? Westminster Cathedral
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going to the theatre
- What's your most hated building? Wandsworth Civic Centre
- What's the best view in London? View from the Emirates cable car
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Seeing Shirley Bassey in concert
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Museum visit, afternoon tea at Claridges and dinner on the Thames
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Trying to get home from working the IRA bomb attacks
- What's your personal London landmark? The Shard
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Trigger from Only Fools and Horses
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? The Lavendar Hill Mob
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Maternal Grandfather