Martha has always had a passion for singing but it was when she joined the National Youth Choir that she realised that singing professionally was her dream. She is now a member of the choir at London’s oldest surviving Church, The Church of St. Bartholomew the Great. Each Christmas, the Choir congregate to sing a range of songs dating back centuries that would have been sung at St. Bartholomew back when they were written.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Arriving at Paddington station on the train. When I was part of the National Youth choir. Just remember being so excited.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The buzz. There's always stuff going on.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? I love Streatham. I moved here straight out of college as it was what I could afford. There's lots of green space and pubs.
- What's your favourite building? St Bartholomew The Great. It's beautiful and It's tucked away too.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Picnic at Streatham Common, or The Rookery in Clapham Common
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going to a concert; possibly a show at the opera house. Then food and a drink afterwards.
- What's your most hated building? The Barbican.
- What's the best view in London? The Shard. Looking down on the city from there is beautiful.
- What's your favourite open space? Streatham common
- What's the most interesting shop? Any vegetable store in Borough market.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? A pub called The Railway in Streatham
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Late night bar called The Players. Which is under the arches at Charing Cross. Piano bar
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Take a book to Postman's Park.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Show them St Bartholomew The Great. Go out to a veggie restaurant perhaps to Vanilla Black. The wonder down the thames
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? A 2hr from Streatham to St Bartholomew The Great for a rehearsal because of road closures and a race.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Royal Albert hall. It's the centre of musical stuff
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Educating The East End.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 1920s - To hear some cool live jazz