Venetia in Wandsworth is 31-40 and is an artist.
Venetia is a Wandsworth-based artist and illustrator who has been inspired by the flowers of New Covent Garden Market and its architecture. Venetia creates striking illustrations from her visit to the market; we watch the process of her creating her work.
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Riding on a big, red London bus wishing I could reach up and pull the cord that rang the bell.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I miss the buzz, energy and possibility around every corner!
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Richmond
- What's your favourite building? Fulham Palace
- What's your ideal day out in London? Carrying a sketchbook and exploring without a specific plan.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Good company and listening to jazz at Ronnie Scotts.
- What's your most hated building? BT Tower
- What's the best view in London? The view of St Pauls Cathedral from Richmond Park – I only found out recently it is a protected vista.
- What's your favourite open space? I love walking along any part of the River Thames. The views, plants and flow of water vary hugely yet I feel it links the city together.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Bar Italia in Soho – when I was an art student I remember drinking coffee in the early hours - the people watching is incredible.
- What's the most interesting shop? Hurlingham Books near Putney Bridge tube – I always leave this second hand book store brimming with ideas and a couple of books.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? British Museum – each visit I like to find a room I have never seen.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? So many but one memorable evening was bumping into a wonderful person I had not seen in years.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? I love nipping to art exhibitions and visiting new gallery spaces. I find it really exciting to see what people are creating and thinking.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Columbia Road Flower Market followed by a pub lunch.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Mostly, I think we are very lucky with the public transport in London. I was delivering two A1 portfolios to the city for a pop up exhibition during rush hour. Both portfolio handles broke, it was really hard for me to move the heavy portfolios, nobody helped yet several people tutted at me!
- What's your personal London landmark? I would say places I have drawn in London such as the Flower Market. I only feel I really understand something if I have drawn it.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Eliza Doolittle
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Four Weddings and a Funeral – this film always makes me smile despite the cringy ending!
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 1920’s
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? I hope the ultimate Londoner will appear over the next few years to guide London through a complex political time.