Tim is a designer and illustrator who set himself the challenge of documenting 2014 through reportage. Reportage is an art that captures real events and situations through drawings, and dates back to the 1800s when ‘special artists’ would go out on to the front lines just as photo journalists do now. How has the project made this year any different? “I remember everything…perfectly.”
Film Maker: Ross Dickson
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? A school trip to see a play with English Literature.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The diversity of things going on and the transport, it’s pretty easy to get around in comparison to other cities.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? I’m enjoying living in Peckham and exploring the South East of London.
- What's your favourite building? The Sir John Soane's Museum.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Visiting an area I haven’t been to before.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going somewhere interesting with good company.
- What's your most hated building? The Lister Primary Care Centre in Peckham.
- What's the best view in London? Nunhead Reservoir.
- What's your favourite open space? Bushy Park.
- What's the most interesting shop? Umit and Son or the Last Tuesday Society, or Deptford Market is quite interesting!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? The Peckham Pelican or The Ivy House.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? I’m part of an illustration collective called First Hand and as a group we document events live by using Reportage Illustration. We documented the 10th Anniversary of the ‘24 Hour Plays Celebrity Gala’ that took place at The Old Vic Theatre. This was an amazing experience and our drawings were auctioned off to raise money for the charity at an after party, which was very memorable!
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Visiting an area I haven’t been to before.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Greenwich.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Travelling back from IKEA Tottenham one night with a massive tabletop in the rain.
- What's your personal London landmark? The River Thames.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Mark Corrigan.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? The Girl Chewing Gum by John Smith.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 3014
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Mr. Bean