Dr Shahrar Ali is a Green party candidate for London at the MEP elections and a local candidate for Willesden. But what makes him stand out from his colleagues is his doctoral thesis: Shahrar’s PhD is focused on lying and deception in public life. With the European Elections taking place on 22 May, this film follows Shahrar as he speaks at hustings with members from the big 3 parties and UKIP, all the while displaying how politics might be more about networking and people skills rather than making grand speeches.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Being driven up Muswell Hill in a low gear and wondering if we'd ever reach the top!
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The sounds, the smells, the diversity of people and cuisines.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Bloomsbury
- What's your favourite building? Natural History Museum
- What's your ideal day out in London? Cycling along Regent's Park Canal followed by Open Air Theatre
- What's your ideal night out in London? Walk along the River Thames followed by Royal Opera House.
- What's your most hated building? Disused or derelict public toilet.
- What's the best view in London? From Alexandra Palace
- What's your favourite open space? Welsh Harp
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Gilbert Scott Restaurant, St Pancras
- What's the most interesting shop? Richardson of Highgate, second-hand furniture
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Winning a competition for Dave Gahan impersonation at a Depeche Mode convention (teenage years).
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Speakers' Corner
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Probably gridlock at Rotherhithe Tunnel when southbound Blackwall tunnel closed.
- What's your personal London landmark? Mahatma Gandhi statue, Tavistock Gardens
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? A man (or woman) who tires of London but doesn't tire of life!
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Spooks, for scenarios more imaginative than your average post-9/11 war-on-terror TV series.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 2014, here and now. We live in interesting times: the challenge of climate change may present us with an existential threat but also a great opportunity to overcome human failings.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? A true Londoner recognises the importance of exercising their vote and has regard both for the other species with whom we share our cityscape and for future generations who aren't around yet.