Madoc in Islington is 31-40 and is an adventurer.
Madoc is a born adventurer. After spending time abroad on various expedition work, Madoc returned to London in search of adventure closer to home. Unable to find anything, he decided to organise his own escapades and use social media to get others involved. His exploits gained interest immediately and so in 2014, Madoc set up ‘Secret Adventures’ – a London-based travel company with a twist: many participants sign up unaware of where they’ll be going or what they’ll be doing.
Madoc strongly believes that you can find adventure right under your nose, even in London, if you’re willing to look. This short documentary gives an insight into just one of his organised ‘adventures’ – swimming in the Thames under a full moon. Through experiences like this, Madoc aims to get city dwellers out of their normal routines and reawaken what he calls “a dormant sense of adventure.”
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Peter Kelly
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Walking along the Regents canal from Islington to Camden with my father when i was 7.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? My family and friends.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Islington where i live and Highbury Fields. You can have bbqs there.
- What's your favourite building? Kenwood House
- What's your ideal day out in London? Cycling through London to Hampstead Heath to meet a friend for a swim and picnic lunch at the mixed swimming lake.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Firebowl bbq on Highbury Fields
- What's your most hated building? Tower Thistle Hotel, St Katherines Dock. Not hatred but it could be more beautiful...
- What's the best view in London? Kayaking under Tower Bridge at night. The bridge is lit up like a jewel. If your lucky the bridge might open as you go under...
- What's your favourite open space? Hampstead Heath
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? The Swan on the river at Twickenham
- What's the most interesting shop? "Get Stuffed" taxidermy shop on Essex Road.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Hampstead Heath
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? The secret concert in an underground space in London under a building only accessible by boat.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? The secret concert in an underground space in London under a building only accessible by boat.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Walk through London to St Pauls, over the wobbly bridge, along the Southbank and then a clipper to Greenwich. Then dinner on a rooftop somewhere.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? On the tube during a carnival about to vomit from food poisoning
- What's your personal London landmark? A secret lake in a special spot in Richmond
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Jack London. Cheating slightly as he's not fictional but his books are.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Made in Chelsea (joke)
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? To see The Doors at the Camden Roundhouse in 1968.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Anyone that escapes the shops and the grind and goes off piste...