When Jennifer was younger she hid her passion for Japanese Anime, Pokemon, Manga and comics culture as it was seen as not being the accepted version of ‘normal’. However, when she arrived at University and met a group of people with the same passions as her everything changed. Welcomed into their family she was finally able to express her passions, including that for the emerging popular subculture of Cosplay.
Cosplay (short for costume play) sees fans create sometimes highly elaborate costumes to dress up as their favourite characters from across the world of comics, film and television and celebrate their passions as a united fandom. To Jennifer, this world offered a chance to express herself amongst what she describes as the most liberal group of people you will find. Her confidence has grown so much through Cosplay that she has even recently quit her job with the aim of one day performing on stage, television and film.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? My first memory of London is travelling through the city to visit my father at work.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The convenience of everything, to get to anything you can either walk or just hop on the tube.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? The West End
- What's your favourite building? The Tower of London, the fact that there is such an old building and a key part of British history surrounded by the busy modern life of London
- What's your ideal day out in London? Going shopping in Camden or Covent garden, with either grabbing some food from a stall or going to a tea shop.
- What's your ideal night out in London? My ideal night out would be going to the theatre in the West End followed by a bar or club in either Soho or Camden
- What's your most hated building? The Shard
- What's the best view in London? From London Bridge looking out over the Thames and at the buildings on either side
- What's your favourite open space? Hyde Park
- What's the most interesting shop? Sai Sai in Camden
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Near the stables in Camden with all the food stalls
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Going to Ketners for the first time for the press night for a show I was doing the sound and lighting for.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Probably going shopping in Camden and picking up some good deals.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? would take them first to Oxford Circus and Regent st, then along the Thames to see the view of the buildings, then take them to the Tower and possibly on one of the walking tours in the evening.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Getting to and from work using the underground during rush hour with a large suitcase and there not being escalators on the stops I need to use.
- What's your personal London landmark? Tower Bridge
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? The new Sherlock Holmes films (Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows)
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Victorian period (though I wouldn’t want to stay)
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Samuel Pepys, who was one of the men who shaped our understanding of London in the 17th Century