Danny in Tower Hamlets is 21-30 and is Thames Water Sewer Worker.
Danny works for Thames Water in the murky world of London’s sewers. He spends his days inspecting subterranean London, clearing colossal fatbergs out of the Victorian Sewers and making sure Londoners can carry on their lives without worrying about what’s below their feet. For him though, that’s just another day at the office.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Laura Kloss, Mark Currie, Reece Lipman
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Um, I'm not sure? Probably watching the marathon on the telly when I was a wee lad!
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The noise, the hustle and bustle. Everywhere else just feels really quiet.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? When we're working, probably around near Shoreditch. You see some weird things around there.
- What's your favourite building? Architecturally, The Bank of England.
- What's your ideal day out in London? I like doing touristy stuff, sightseeing. I haven't been up The Shard yet but my partner is afraid of heights.
- What's your ideal night out in London? I like going to the West End, or Hammersmith, down by the river.
- What's your most hated building? White Hart Lane (Tottenham's stadium!)
- What's the best view in London? The Fleet river, under Blackfriars.
- What's your favourite open space? The Olympic Park now that they've taken everything down. It's huge and it's changed so much from what it was before.
- What's the most interesting shop? Hamleys!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? don't really hang out much in London but probably Hammersmith.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? New Years eve 2012.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? I love going to have a look around London Zoo.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Along the river, going from Blackfriars and down to Westminster.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Getting Home! It once took me 4hrs when a Lorry spilt Tomato puree all over the North Circ. It ran everywhere.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Joseph Bazalgette Monument at the bottom of Northumberland Ave. He was the founder of the modern sewers so I take people down there to see it.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? I liked Whitechapel when it was on.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Forward, just to see what it was like. Haha, it'd be great to see what the iPhone 6 is like!
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Big Bad Boris, he's great. He might be coming down the sewers soon as well.