Brenda is an active 84 year old woman who lives in Croydon. She was told by her GP that she was ‘fat’ and that her weight was having a negative effect on her health. One of Brenda’s friends told her about ASKI and the different activities they offer and she got involved in chair-based dancing. ASKI also offered Brenda the opportunity to attend a poetry workshop and she recites a poem about her life that she wrote herself.
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? When I was young, we didn't have money to go into London. I do remember the London Palladium, my son took me.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I can't really say. Wherever I go, I get on with people.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Wherever I go, I feel good. I don't think about home.
- What's your favourite building? Where the Crown Jewels are [the Tower of London]. And with the dance group we went to Dulwich Picture Gallery. I liked it.
- What's your ideal day out in London? I like to have a fish and chips meal.
- What's your ideal night out in London? At the moment, I'm not doing anything. I look after Mary, a lady who has dementia. My son says he'll take me for a meal when this is over.
- What's your most hated building? I don't like where it's really crowded.
- What's the best view in London? I don't have one. I don't really go anywhere.
- What's your favourite open space? I don't really go to parks. I used to with the children, to Crystal Palace Park.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? When I go out with my son, we go to The Orchard in Shirley [Croydon] and to The Crown on Wickham Road.
- What's the most interesting shop? I do most of my shopping at Tesco's.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? With my husband we used to go to gentleman's clubs and to football.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? I couldn't tell you, 'cause I really haven't been to many places. When my family take me to places, I enjoy it. But I don't remember where I've been.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? I like royalty. I like Kate and Wills.