Winnie M. Li is a writer, filmmaker, and activist. Nine years ago, Winnie was raped in a park in Belfast. She tells how surreal it was to hear other people making assumptions about her rape and about how she overcame it by sharing her story in writing. Her debut novel Dark Chapter is out in June 2017.
Film Maker: Harriet Jones
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Backpacking in my summer break at Uni. I remember staying in a hostel in Victoria, flagging a bus down and hailing like I would a taxi in New York. Everyone else had their arms out straight.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The cultural opportunities - the incredible and incredibly affordable theatre!
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Vauxhall, I've lived on and off in the same bedroom since 2003!
- What's your favourite building? St Dunstan's in East, - a ruined church converted into a garden.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Wandering around neighbourhoods, experiencing strange nooks and crannies.
- What's your ideal night out in London? A theatre show and bar hopping.
- What's the best view in London? Parliament Hill. (This South Londoner begrudgingly admits it)
- What's your favourite open space? The lavender garden in Vauxhall Park.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Anywhere that does decent Mexican food. Increasingly there are more of them!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Southbank.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Wandering around Soho bars at 3am in the morning.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Walking the lengths of the river and stopping in galleries/cafes along the way.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? For a walk along Southbank and the member's room at Tate Modern.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Visiting a friend's BBQ on the opposite side of London. Took 1 hr and a half to get there via public transport! (I don’t Uber, I need to save money)
- What's your personal London landmark? The outflow of the Effra River under Vauxhall bridge.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Black Hearts in Battersea by Joan Aiken. It’s from a wonderful children’s book series, and I think reading it at an early age in the US played some part in me moving here many years later as an adult.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Roman London. I am obsessed with Roman ruins for some inexplicable reason...