Saf is a driven, professional young economics student from Hackney about to embark on an ambitious career in financial services. However, when not studying, he loves nothing more than getting stuck into his work as a beekeeper in one of Hackney’s many secluded green spaces with the Golden Company.
We follow him to Borough Market where Saf then becomes economically active, selling the honey products that he has helped to create. Saf sees insect communities differently to most, applying his understanding of economics and politics to the bee colonies that he tends, and drawing parallels between the complex social systems within the beehive and London as a whole.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Nick Shaw
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? The journey from Heathrow to my home.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The diversity and the fast-paced life.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Upminster Bridge.
- What's your favourite building? The building I live in.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Breakfast at St. Paul's, a tour of the city and a picnic at Greenwich Park.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Spending time with friends in Romford and a family dinner in Belsize Park.
- What's your most hated building? The Tate Modern.
- What's the best view in London? From the hill in Collier Row in Essex.
- What's your favourite open space? Mile End Park.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Palm Tree pub in Mile End Park, Kingston Bar or Desperados Restaurant in Greenwich.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? College Ball at West Ham Stadium.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Breakfast in the city and a tour of the nearby suburbs, then Kew Gardens and dinner in the city.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Sunday Market, Borough Market, Greenwich Park, Essex and the Embankment.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? I took a bus from Canning Town to Walthamstow Central. A lot of traffic.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Royal Observatory.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Johnny English, Sins of the Father or The Joy of Honey.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 15 years into the future to see the London Bridge developments.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Colin Jim Reeves.