Lucy in Lambeth is 21-30 and is A Speech & Language Therapy Student.
Lucy discusses her journey to becoming a Speech and Language Therapist, what led her into the job, the small victories that make it rewarding and where she plans to take it in the future.
Film Maker: Sam Norton
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? My parents took me to Notting Hill carnival when I was about 7. God knows why they thought that was a good idea at that age! I have good memories of it though, like dancing policemen and meeting Levi Roots.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? Public transport! Where I come from there's one bus into town every 2 hours and you never know if it's going to turn up...
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? It has to be Soho. For a small part of London it packs so much in and every street you walk down has something else going on. You've got Oxford Circus, Carnaby Street, Chinatown, Liberty's, Kingly Court, Piccadilly Circus, various theatres, good bars etc..
- What's your favourite building? I'm constantly wowed by new buildings in London, but my all time favourite is St Pancras station. I walk past it every day on my way into uni and frequently walk into people while I'm looking up at it. It's greatest on a clear day when the red brickwork stands out against a blue sky - I'm just in awe of whoever designed it.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Get up mega early and catch the Columbia Road Flower Market, get a nice breakfast somewhere nearby, then head down to Camden Market for a little shop and some lunch. In the evening I'd go for a cheap dinner at Mr Bao then see what's on at the Peckhamplex cinema.
- What's your ideal night out in London? A night at Blues Kitchen in Brixton. I'd go early evening for some food and cocktails in the restaurant, then head upstairs for the live jazz bands which get a clubbier vibe as the night goes on. I've always had great nights in there!
- What's the best view in London? Top of the OXO tower. That said, I've never been on the London Eye or up the Shard so reckon my view could be topped.
- What's your favourite open space? Granary Square behind Kings Cross station. Love a bit of tanning on the grass steps by the canal, or watching the kids splashing in the fountains in front of Central St Martin's art school. They also have some amazing restaurants there, like Dishoom or Caravan, and Ruby Violet's does the best ice cream!
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Favourite bar: Madison rooftop bar overlooking St Paul's Cathedral - great for posh cocktails, fab views and beautiful people. Favourite restaurant: Mr Bao in Peckham for the best Taiwanese bao buns, or the German Gymnasium near Kings Cross for lavish German food inside a converted 19th-century gym.
- What's the most interesting shop? Liberty's of London - it's Shakespearean shopfront is amazing and it's just full of beautiful things I can admire but can't afford!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? If it's a nice day I like the outside area of the Serpentine Restaurant in Hyde Park - they do great pizzas and overlook the pedalo lake.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Get up mega early and catch the Columbia Road Flower Market, get a nice breakfast somewhere nearby, then head down to Camden Market for a little shop and some lunch. In the evening I'd go for a cheap dinner at Mr Bao then see what's on at the Peckhamplex cinema.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? I'd start them off at the Tower of London, walk over Tower Bridge then along Southbank, stopping off at Borough Market for lunch. We'd then carry on past the Globe, Festival Pier etc, then over Westminster Bridge to take in views of the London Eye, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. If they're not dead on their feet I'd finish by walking them through St James' Park to Buckingham Palace.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? For me there is no journey more stressful than the Piccadilly line to Heathrow airport. No matter how much time I leave I'm always left running for my flight after breakdowns, signal failures etc - not the one!
- What's your personal London landmark? I love the Royal Albert Hall, inside and out!
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Wasn't Mr Bean supposed to have lived in a flat in Highbury? I love Mr Bean and I used to work in Highbury so I'll go for him!
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Love Actually all the way, I watch it every Christmas without fail!
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Kate Moss