Jacqueline in Waltham Forest is 51-60 and is Pie & Mash Shop Owner.
It’s hard to find a more typical, traditional ‘London’ meal than Pie and Mash. Jacqueline and her family run the beautifully preserved Manze’s Pie and Mash shop in Walthamstow. This is a shop with a long tradition in the area and Jacqueline discusses her feelings on the changing face of London and keeping traditional London alive.
Film Maker: Reece Lipman
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Visiting Selfridges as a little girl with my Mum to see father Christmas. We went shopping afterwards as well.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I miss London itself. The hustle and bustle of it all, especially the centre.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? North London and Central London
- What's your favourite building? The Royal Albert Hall
- What's your ideal day out in London? I love sightseeing and I suppose going to see a show (especially the ballet)...oh and getting something to eat!
- What's your ideal night out in London? I like going to the theatre, having something to eat and meeting friends.
- What's your most hated building? The Shard or The Gerkin
- What's the best view in London? I haven't been up it but probably The Shard?
- What's your favourite open space? Hyde Park, particularly in the summer and the autumn
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Ye Old Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street. It's this beautiful old pub that you can imagine looking the same during Victoirian times. You can imagine the prostitutes waiting around outside in the 1800s and all of the famous people who have visited!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Probably the Harrods shoe department with my daughter!
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Just going to the ballet in general with dinner.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Sightseeing
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? On a general walkabout of the city
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? I was working in Kings Cross during a tube strike a few years ago and got stuck on a bus. That was a nightmare!
- What's your personal London landmark? Victoria and Albert hall, Knightsbridge and St James's
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? London's Hidden Interiors by Philip Davies
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Any time during the autumn when there are less crowds!
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? The Queen