Jackie is a highly skilled historical costume maker based at Sands Films, Rotherhithe. Described as a ‘hidden treasure’, Sands Films is a period costume facility, based in a Grade 2 listed granary building located metres away from the Thames. The company has created costumes for countless film, TV, stage and opera productions, including Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables and Harry Potter. One of three generations to work at Sands Films, Jackie followed in her mother’s footsteps 20 years ago, helping with the ironing and washing of costumes. Since then she has worked on every part of the costume process, from sewing and embroidering, to dying fabrics, washing and ironing. Her daughter works alongside her, and her granddaughter of just 8 has recently been bought a sewing machine.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Harriet Jones
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Battersea Park.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? My own bed!
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? My own - Southwark, Rotherhithe.
- What's your favourite building? Albert Bridge, I love it when it's lit up at night.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Shopping in the West End.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Probably a West End musical, - The Rat Pack.
- What's your most hated building? Canary Wharf.
- What's the best view in London? Top of the shard.
- What's your favourite open space? Blackheath.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Frankie and Bennys.
- What's the most interesting shop? Any old record shops in Soho. I love 45's!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Covent Garden.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Comedy club in Greenwich... I won't go into the details!
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? If not shopping then probably staying indoors and catching up with the housework!
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Covent Garden.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Up and down Jamaica Road is hell.
- What's your personal London landmark? Tower of London.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Love Actually.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Henry VIII period.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Bob Hoskins.