Friedel couldn’t be happier in his job. He’s been a rickshaw rider, trainer, manager, mechanic, office boy and all-round dogsbody, and has loved it so much that he now owns his own rickshawing company. Friedel is dedicated to providing fun, friendly, emission-free transport for London, and is equally passionate about the employment opportunities the job offers. He shares with us his stories and experiences from riding through the streets of the city.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Harriet Jones
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Coming in via Lewisham and thinking London looked poor.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The 24/7 alive feeling, knowing you can get food or food shopping done at any time and any day of the year including Christmas day.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Haringey Green Lanes because of all the different food shops and great value restaurants.
- What's your favourite building? 30 St Mary Axe, better known by its nickname The Gherkin, it's one of the most eye-catching buildings in London for me.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Sitting in the park next to Richmond bridge and watching the boats pass on the Thames.
- What's your ideal night out in London? A Persian meal in Angle, followed by a film at Screen on the Green and a coffee and cake after, then a trip home on the 341
- What's your most hated building? Home Office, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Rd, Croydon CR9 2BY, an ugly building for an ugly job.
- What's the best view in London? In the summer from Waterloo Bridge at 4am and watching the sun rise.
- What's your favourite open space? So many!!! but Finsbury Park, as it has a cool American garden and the new river.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Harran Restaurant 399 Green Lanes, London N4 1EU, been a regular there once a month for the past 10 years.
- What's the most interesting shop? Forbidden Planet 179 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8JR because of all the comics!
- What's your favourite place to hang out? On a Pedicab on Old Compton Street and Frith Street junction on a Friday night, with a hot chocolate in hand .... crazy ;)
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? The 2nd date with my 2nd wife for a hot chocolate in Camden.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Traveling along the canal on my narrowboat from Uxbridge to Watford through the nature reserve.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? On the canals of London by narrowboat.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? As a passenger in a friends badly working car from Holborn to Uxbridge.
- What's your personal London landmark? Every Bugbugs pedicab offering a lift :)
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? The "Cramp Fairy" who lives in London & visits rickshaw riders, when you sleep she pokes you with her star shaped wand & induces cramp.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Even though I'm a total sci-fi fan ..... Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Ritchie
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Right here right now, this time and day, it's the best part of life and from which to shape the future.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Chris Smallwood, the founder of Bugbugs, he is been a catalyst for a Rickshaw revolution across Europe, with his fight for a fair license for pedicabs.