Eleanor in Southwark is 31-40 and is an artist.
As part of a pub quiz years ago, Eleanor made a reproduction of a famous photograph using Play-Doh. Her team won the round and for Eleanor this started the art project ‘Photographs Rendered in Play-Doh’. She recreates photographs in Play-Doh, takes a picture of the Play-Doh artwork, publishes it on her Tumblr blog and Instagram and then takes the model back apart. The whole project is an experiment and reflects on the disposability of the hundreds of images we see every day.
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Getting lost outside the British Museum with a friend on a school trip when the guard would only let us out the back entrance. It took us half an hour to find the front entrance.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The constant state of flux.. the ever changing people, the landscapes, the light, the sound, the smells
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Peckham. I've lived here for over 6 years and there is something about really knowing an area. Even the street cleaner waves!
- What's your favourite building? St Pancras station. Not just the architecture but also the idea of how many journeys have started and ended there
- What's your ideal day out in London? Walking the city - either north to south, or east to west along the river.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Anywhere my friends are
- What's your most hated building? The closed post office on Rye Lane in Peckham. It was my local one and it was closed last summer - I can walk to the next nearest one but lots of people can't.. so it always makes me angry walking past.
- What's the best view in London? From the top deck of the bus
- What's your favourite open space? Peckham Rye Common. It's at the end of my street and you come from such noise and traffic to a massive green space - somewhere to breathe. I do also like Nunhead Cemetery but thought that might sound a little dark.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Mr Bao in Peckham. It's so tiny but the food is amazing and the staff lovely. I am obsessed with their smacked cucumber.
- What's the most interesting shop? There is a sewing machine repair shop near my flat that never seems to be open but occasionally a man who looks a bit like Santa comes in and out late at night .. it's right next to a Foxtons but people tend to be much more interested to look in the Sewing Machine repair shop than the properties in Foxtons' window. It's a small victory to needlecrafters everywhere that he is still going in spite of gentrification.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Anywhere my friends are
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? I'm hoping this is still to come
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? If they would let me in with the kittens at Battesea Cats and Dogs home
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? I'd make them get on their feet and walk perhaps along the Southbank - taking in Westminster toTate Modern, the view of St Paul's from over the river and down into Bermondsey..
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? There have been a couple of times when I've been harassed and threatened on the tube. They were the worst.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Growing up I loved Bea and Evangeline from the House of Elliott. For a girl from the suburbs in the midlands, they seemed so glamorous
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? I love a bit of Dickens. He really nailed it and never gets old.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? Maybe the 1920s? A time of tremendous changes but before the devastation of World War II - and I could have popped in to see Bea and Evangeline from the House of Elliott for a cup of tea.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Uncle Tammy. The security guard in the Tesco near where I live. He is doing a PhD in his spare time and everyone seems to know and love him. He is the most popular man in Peckham and I have a vision of him being mayor one day. #UncleTammyforMajor