Elaha in Lewisham is 21-30 and is Community Outreach Worker.
Elaha is an Afghan social worker living in London. She tells about the best moments she has experienced working in community outreach and how her grandmother has inspired her feminism.
This film was made by Sara Noori, an Afghan-Canadian and a Deptford resident. Like Elaha, Noori is hoping to explore the issue of Afghans in the Diaspora, to inspire not only young Afghans but also young people around the world and to present a
different picture of ordinary Afghans, contrary to what is currently shown on mainstream media. In making the film Noori was supported by documentary filmmaker and social entrepreneur Rachel Wang of Chocolate Films, the video production company behind 1000 Londoners. Noori and Wang met through a mentorship program in collaboration with the Guild of Entrepreneurs and the University of Westminster, where Sara Noori is currently studying her MA in Digital and Interactive Storytelling LAB MA.
Film Maker: Emily Rimmer, Sara Noori
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Soft serve ice cream near the London eye
- What do you miss when you're away from London? Nothing really
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Kingston-upon-Thames
- What's your favourite building? Westminster Abbey
- What's your ideal day out in London? Exploring the nooks I hadn’t known before and there are plenty in this city, there is always something to do! Art openings and festivals of course.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Anywhere in Camden
- What's your most hated building? All buildings in Canary Wharf especially the HSBC building
- What's the best view in London? Greenwich Park
- What's your favourite open space? Nightingale Lane, Richmond
- What's the most interesting shop? Stepping Stones in Greenwich
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Covent Garden on weekdays and Hackney on the weekends because Central could be pretty hectic over the weekends!
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? NYE 2017
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Checking out new cafes
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Richmond and Kingston riverside
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Rush hour everyday
- What's your personal London landmark? Westminster Abbey
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Can’t think of one.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Notting Hill
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 90s London when the Spice girls were big!
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? No such thing as the ultimate Londoner, London’s strength is it’s diversity and the fact that it embraces everyone. I do however believe you can never be a complete Londoner until you have a love hate relationship with this city.