Dutch (full name Anthony Van Someren) brings biking and business together. He recently gave up his day job to realise his dream of creating a community for bikers, opening the long-awaited Bike Shed in Shoreditch http://thebikeshed.
Related articles across the web
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Seeing battersea power station n the train in from Sussex.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I miss a good choice of food, decent coffee and sole traders. Town centres seem to be full of Gap, Starbucks and Estate Agents. London is a better village than most villages.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? I used to love Camden Town back in the day, but these days I inhabit Marylebone Village for poshness and Shoreditch for grit.
- What's your favourite building? Probably Westminster Palace, It’s just pretty to look at and reminds me what an amazing city we live in.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Ideal day out would be riding my bike around north London in the spring or summer, stopping at cafes and bars with my mates.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Ideal night out, probably a good meal somewhere new, especially with cabaret or music attached while you eat.
- What's your most hated building? I hate most buildings put up by councils in the 1960s and 70s to house civil servants. Big grey blocks of joyless ugliness.
- What's the best view in London? Best view in London is probably from the London Eye. Cliche but true.
- What's your favourite open space? I like Regents Park best of all. It’s central, easy to park, enough good cafes, plus the lake, sports, wooded bits and the zoo, and you can arrive by canal boat.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? The Bike Shed Motorcycle Club is of course my favourite bar. We built it because no-one else had done anything similar.
- What's the most interesting shop? Don’t have one really. I like areas with lots of sole traders, like Redchurch Street.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Shoreditch.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Too many to mention, I enjoyed a date night out at Dishoom recently.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Night time driving tour through everywhere. Rooftop breakfast at Shoreditch House, Day out in Bricklane, Truman Brewery and Spitalfields, then another day on Hampstead Heath or regents Park.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Any journey on public Transport in rush hour. That’s why I ride a motorcycle.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Thames and all it’s bridges
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes - Of course.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? White Merc with Fins.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? I’d like to see London in 50 years from now.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Ultimate Londoner…? No-one springs to mind quickly enough to be credible.