Doreen Golding, who lives in Wanstead, is proud to be a Pearly Queen. Raising the profile of the Pearlies is crucial to their longevity and Doreen is quick to remind people their aim is raising money for charity.
In this film she recalls rubbing shoulders with Elton John and meeting the queen. She has endless stories of meeting celebrities.
Film Maker: Oliver Parkin
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? I've lived in london all my life so... walking to the end of my street and seeing Tower Bridge!
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I'm never really away from London, but I think it's the underground – I rely on it
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Covent Garden and the Jubiliee Market with it
- What's your favourite building? There are so many wonderful buildings, but I'd have to say St. Pauls Cathedral
- What's your ideal day out in London? My ideal day out in London would be to go on the underground and have a look around... I'd also like to take my daughters out for afternoon tea at a nice hotel
- What's your ideal night out in London? I'm not a night bird, but perhaps dinner and the theatre
- What's your most hated building? You can't actually hate a building; the new ones like the cheese grater and the walkie talkie are unusual but I've go used to seeing them
- What's the best view in London? From The Shard
- What's your favourite open space? St. James' Park
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a cheapskate, I do love a good Wetherspoon's
- What's the most interesting shop? Selfridges
- What's your favourite place to hang out? Pearly Kings and Queens don't actually hang out, I'll have to think about that one...
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Going to Elton John's 60th birthday party
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Just wandering around, getting off at Westminster Bridge and strolling the South Bank
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Westminster Bridge and then I'd take them on The London Eye
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? It was only 2 week ago on the DLR and something wasn't working. I got taken off the train at All Saint's and told to take a replacement bus which we couldn't find, there was no one to help us. The journey was awful when we got on the bus and we ended up going via Canary Wharf!
- What's your personal London landmark? The Tower of London
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? I'd try and meet Sherlock Holmes in the Victorian Era
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Myself