Dick aka The Baron, as he is sometimes known, is a custom motorcycle designer and builder based in Croydon. His speciality is 1950s & 60s Triumphs, for which he has a lasting affinity, as well as other classic British bikes. Dick first rode on his brothers track bike aged four and has been obsessed with building and racing motorcycles ever since. His skill, knowledge and craftsmanship are legend in the world of classic custom bikes.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Alexander Osman
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? 5 years old arriving at Liverpool Street station for school outing made a big impression. Seems like it’s in Technicolor in my memory the same as the picture postcards. We went to the Tower of London, Eros and all the sites.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? My wife and my workshop.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Soho and west-end.
- What's your favourite building? St. Paul’s, such an iconic London skyline building.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Up to West End for a look around and then Tate Modern for a bit of culture.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Blues night at The Oval in Croydon.
- What's your most hated building? The Gherkin, it looks like a jar of coffee to me.
- What's the best view in London? Alexandra Palace.
- What's your favourite open space? Crystal Palace Park, I used to spend a lot of time there with my misses and the kids when they were little.
- What's the most interesting shop? The long gone flea market in Carnaby Street.
- What's your favourite place to hang out? My workshop is social focal point especially Wednesday nights and Saturdays.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? The night I met my misses at a club called Silks in Shepherd’s bush.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? As above... West End and Tate
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? I take them to see old, classic sites. Proper iconic stuff like Tower Bridge and the Post Office Tower.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Sitting in traffic from South London to the centre of town. Took me nearly 5 hours once. I get the train from East Croydon nowadays.
- What's your personal London landmark? Post Office Tower - you can always see that on your way home.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? Sherlock Holmes.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? ‘Primitive London’, a documentary about London in the swinging sixties and ‘The London nobody knows’ another sixties documentary narrated by James Mason.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? 1960-64
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Ray Winston