Gordon in Waltham Forest is 51-60 and is a professor of Shakespeare Studies.
Gordon McMullan is a professor at King’s College London and the academic director of Shakespeare400, a programme celebrating the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death in 2016. He looks back on a fruitful year.
Film Maker: Oliver Parkin
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? London is now, so its hard to look back and see it is the past version of London.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? Sometimes I ask myself: why the hell do I live in London? As soon as I get back: close to restaurants, so much going on, always being able to see a world class play.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Walthamstow - own neighbourhood. Clerkenwell would be ideal.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Short enough play at The Donmar or Almeida that you could then go to intriguing new restaurant for late dinner, after going Tate Britain.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Portuguese restaurant - Vauxhall. Dinner and the theatre.
- What's your most hated building? Garden Bridge
- What's the best view in London? From the balcony students union in King's, Houses of Parliament and Tower of London.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Baltic Restaurant, Waterloo
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? The new year's eve party at The Globe at the start of the new millennium.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? Would go out of London usually. Otherwise, breakfast in Somerset House, Tate Modern, Globe - The Swan, walk going into the city lanes and avenues, keep walking until you get to Hoxton.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Went to visit a friend in West Harrow. Fire at one of little stations. Had to go all the way around London.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Wapping Project?
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Shakespeare