Allison is a single mum who has had more than her fair share of misfortune since she arrived from the Cayman Islands over 20 years ago. London is one of the richest cities in the world, and Christmas is a magical time. However, thousands of Londoners use food banks to help them in their hour of need. One of these people is Allison. We follow her as she tries to create some kind of Christmas for her family. See how Christmas is for some of London’s poorest people.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Nick Shaw
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? I was 13 years old when I arrived at Heathrow. It was in March and there was snow. I was expecting beautiful building, and i saw bare trees. There were brick buildings and I thought "oh no!" my aunt took me to a kebab shop and I got a burger, and I was amazed how small it was.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I went to Middlesex for 6-7 years when my husband passed away, I missed Brixton market and my shopping area. I kept coming home because I missed it so much. theres nothing like it, the atmosphere .
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Brixton, I grew up there.
- What's your favourite building? Madame Tussauds, I've been there a few times. Every year I promise my kids ill take them but i can't get round to it, i think it's just me that wants to go!
- What's your ideal day out in London? I love picnics, usually me and my children would have a picnic in the park after church, and then play football, in London I don't really have an ideal day out. I kind of can't.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Nope, theres none of that!
- What's your most hated building? No I am a Christian. I have no hatred in my heart, except smelly public toilets.
- What's the best view in London? I don't know. I don't go anywhere as such, Frank Bruno once had a boat party and I got to go. In Piccadilly Venom ladies night back in the day.
- What's your favourite open space? Brockwell park. I love it. Theres a pond with the squirrels and my friend got bit by a squirrel trying to feed it. I used to play tennis there, theres so many things to go and do there for free.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? I used to go Piccadilly Venom ladies night back in the day.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? Frank Bruno once had a boat party and I got to go it was amazing.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? If they had money I'd take them to the bank! I don't think I'd take them anywhere I'd get them to buy some food so we can can cook properly at home.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? I was going to a food bank in Vauxhall and I took the wrong bus. It took us to some far away place. We didn't know where to go and it had closed by the time we got there. Turns out the place was really close to where we started out.
- What's your personal London landmark? I kind of just stick close to my house. I'd love to take a tour bus but those things cost money. It would be good to see Big Ben up close.
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? I don't know much English stuff. I like Michael Caine.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? CSI UK. I liked the American one, so why should this country be left out?!
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? My two children set the bed on fire when I was asleep, by the time I got up they said "Mummy theres a fire in the bedroom". I came back. I had to get the kids out. The fire brigade came and by the time they got there the whole house burned down along with my passport. That was the start of a lot of my problems. I would go to before that never happened. That's why the government can't find me.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? No idea.