Hanna has lived in London all her life, which has shaped her identity. As she travels through the city she loves, Hanna reflects on having to leave London and her family behind, to study a Masters Degree at Oxford University.
To find out more about Hanna and the journey behind the film, read a blog written by her friend, and one of the filmmakers, Faiza Amin.
This film was made by a group of young participants in a 5-day ‘1000 Londoners’ workshop with Tower Hamlet’s Futureversity at Rich Mix cinema.
Related articles across the web
Film Maker: Black Dragon
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? Being chased by a dog when I was four years old.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? I miss the public transport. London is such a convenient area to get around.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? In Penge, where I grew up, it’s a friendly place. It’s not too far from the centre, so it still has a great atmosphere.
- What's your favourite building? The Russell Square Hotel. I only discovered it during my final year of uni, despite being close. Previously I had never looked up to notice it.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Traveliing in the cable cars, in Greewich and then walking along the Thames.
- What's your ideal night out in London? Going to the theatre to see a musical. I watched the hip-hop version of Othello recently, it was really cool.
- What's your most hated building? I don’t like any of the derelict buildings in London, there are quite a few around.
- What's the best view in London? At the top of Crystal Palace park, you can see the whole of London.
- What's your favourite open space? Crystal Palace park, because I used to visit the park often when I was little and see the dinosaurs. We used to go there after school.
- What's your favourite bar, pub or restaurant? Busaba, the Thai restaurant on Charlotte Street, because the food is yum.
- What's the most interesting shop? Skoobs, the books shop, near Russel Square station.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? When I finished my exams this year, I went out with a couple of friends and my sister. We had a great time.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? If I’ve had a busy week, I stay at home in my pyjamas and do nothing, but watch re-runs of Grey’s Anatomy. if I have the energy I love to go sight seeing.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? On a bus tour of London, it’s a great way to show them the whole of London. I’ve never actually been on one! Although there are times when I get on a bus and see where it takes me.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Rush hour in the morning, being hit in the face by man bags, that are all the rage at the moment.
- What's your personal London landmark? There should be a statue of me somewhere, or stuff my body when I die, so people can visit. Although, there currently isn’t a statue, there will be one day!
- Who's your favourite fictional Londoner? I love them all. No, I don’t really have one.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Spice Girls the movie, I have a Scary Spice outfit in my wardrobe at home.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? I would go back to the riots in Brixton, during the 80’s, to see if there have been any changes since then; either positive or negative.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? I don’t think there is an ultimate Londoner. You can't easily define what it means to be a Londoner.