Chris in Wandsworth is 41-50 and is helicopter pilot.
Chris Mann discovered independence at an early age. His passion for skateboarding around the city developed into flying through London’s skyline. Confident he can master whatever he takes a fondness for, Chris left his production design career for West end shows and 12 years ago decided to become a helicopter pilot. Now he owns London’s main tourist helicopter company based in Battersea. Again at the height of a pilot’s career, Chris is reminded by his sons about his original love for skateboarding, they bought him a skateboard for his birthday this year; Chris is cautious as to whether he wants to try it out as he isn’t sure whether he can be the best at it any more
Questions & Answers
- What's your first memory of London? My first memory is getting on the number 3 bus to school with my sister. We lived in Fulham, in a slum area and went to a primary school in the Boltons called Bousfield. The school still exists now. One time my sister left me at the bus stop and I had to walk home by myself when I was only 6 years old. My Mum was furious.
- What do you miss when you're away from London? The hustle and bustle and the business.
- What's your favourite neighbourhood? Southbank.
- What's your favourite building? The Shard.
- What's your ideal day out in London? Walking on the Thames path, popping into cafés and galleries.
- What's your ideal night out in London? I like to stay over in London with my wife in a hotel and go to the cinema or to the theatre.
- What's your most hated building? The Tower Hotel at Tower Bridge
- What's the best view in London? From my helicopter, looking at London from 2,000 feet - it's taller than any building and so much closer than when you fly in on a plane from Heathrow. The best view is when you fly past Canary wharf going north,then turn westward and see Tower Bridge.
- What's your favourite open space? Hyde Park.
- What's been your most memorable night out in London? The Boundary.
- How would you like to spend your ideal day off in London? I'd do nothing or get out of London! I may go to see his dad in Surrey.
- Where would you take someone visiting from out of town? Walk from Covent Garden, across Waterloo bridge, along the South Bank to Tate Modern.
- What's the worst journey you've had to make in London? Going to Gloucester by car from Dulwich. The car drive from Dulwich through Hammersmith is horrible.
- What's your personal London landmark? The Heliport.
- What's your favourite London film, book or documentary? Layer Cake.
- If you could travel to any time period in London, past or future, where would you go? I love the Tube, so I'd love to have been around when it opened.
- For you, who is the ultimate Londoner? Michael Caine.